The National Adult Immunization Schedule (NAIS) by the Ministry of Health (MOH) Singapore recommends pneumococcal vaccination for adults 65 and older to help prevent pneumococcal pneumonia.6
^Streptococcus pneumoniae is one of the most common pathogens found in community acquired pneumonia (CAP)9
1. Shea KM, et al. Rates of Pneumococcal Disease in Adults with Chronic Medical Conditions. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2014 May 27;1(1):ofu024
2. Wyrwich .WK, et al. Observational longitudinal study of symptom burden and time for recovery from community-acquired pneumonia reported by older adults surveyed nationwide using the CAP Burden of Illness Questionnaire. Patient Related Outcome Measures 2015:6 215–223.
3. Tomczyk.S, et al. Use of 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine and 23-Valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine Among Adults Aged ≥65 Years: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) MMWR.2014;63:37
4. American lung association-pneumococcal pneumonia.
https://www.lung.org/lung-health-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/pneumonia/pneumococcal#:~:text=Common%20symptoms%20of%20pneumococcal%20pneumonia,last%20for%20weeks%2C%20or%20longer. (Accessed 25th Aug 2020)
5. Pelton.SI, et al. Decline in Pneumococcal Disease Attenuated in Older Adults and Those with Comorbidities Following Universal Childhood PCV13 Immunization.CID 2019;68(11):1831–8
6. National Adult immunization schedule https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/moh-establishes-national-adult-immunisation-schedule-extends-use-of-medisave-for-vaccines-under-the-schedule (Accessed 6th Aug 2020)
7. CDC How to prevent pneumococcal factsheet, https://www.cdc.gov/pneumococcal/resources/prevent-pneumococcal-factsheet.pdf (Accessed 3rd Aug 2020)
8. American Lung association- DYK you can still get pneumonia in summer.
https://www.lung.org/blog/you-can-still-get-pneumonia-in-summer#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20pneumococcal%20pneumonia%20can,pneumonia%20is%20called%20pneumococcal%20pneumonia (Accessed 6th Aug 2020)
9. Jain.S, et al. Community-Acquired Pneumonia Requiring Hospitalization among U.S. Adults N Engl J Med 2015;373:415-27.